Friday, October 30, 2009

Wear Bigger Earrings

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with
thanksgiving, present you requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Philippians 4:6-8 (NIV)

Recently I noticed I was losing my hair. My mom has alopecia, my sisters have alopecia and brother… is just plain bald. So it seems reasonable to think I have alopecia and will soon loose most, if not all, of my hair.

I was anxious about this and had resigned myself to the idea that I would soon be without hair. I asked my wonderful husband if he would still love me if I were bald, which was absolutely ridiculous to even consider, this man loves me and has stuck with me through good times and bad times for the past 26 years.

My thoughts were focused on what others will think of me. How will I conceal my bald head; will I get extensions, should I buy a wig, do I just go au naturale and expose my bald head? I shared my concerns with my dear friend, Robin. Her response was not only funny and precious but oh so profound “Wear bigger earrings”.

While spending the afternoon with Robin I learned she and her family had been experiencing very difficult times. The challenges she faced had not eroded her joy or her ability to think on the lovely things. She had the peace that stood guard over her heart and her mind and on that day she shared that peace with me. When faced with difficulty what are you thinking?

Father, I thank you for good friends. I thank you that there is so much more to think on than our immediate unfortunate circumstance. In all things you have given the lovely, the pure, the noble, the right and the true thing to think on. In addition to all of that, you will guard our heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

In Palace Style,

Victoria


Inspired by God Written by
Victoria Edwards October 3, 2009